Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday Evening Post

In true Shirley fashion - this post is most random.

It all started on Friday when our bison was still frozen so we had to postpone our homemade bison burgers and settle for leftovers.  C'est la vie.

Nothing was planned for Saturday so we made sure to sleep in and start the day lazy.  We decided we couldn't be lazy all day so we headed out to do some yard work.  I declared war on the grass growing in the flowerbeds and proceeded to get distracted.  While about half of our  flowerbeds are now grass free - here's the real fruit of my labor from weeding...

I can't remember what this plant is called (we call it the purple one) but it is on the West side of our house and the morning sun hadn't dried up the rain from last night yet.  I was very intrigued by the water droplets and the indirect light they were getting.

Luckily, when my husband found me with the camera he too was intrigued at what caught my attention and was not annoyed that I had been distracted from my chore.

It's good to have someone who understands just how hard it can be to not drop your weed bucket and run inside to grab the camera when greeted with this type of scene.  If only this could be my life work.

After lunch and all that weeding (ha), we headed out to run a few errands.  Our first stop was Goodwill to drop donations off.  I couldn't help myself and checked out the book selection. 
Look what I found for 75 cents! 

 

The lady behind me in line said that I could learn how to set a table if I read the front of the book.  I politely told her my mom made sure I knew how to do that long ago.  But yes this book is great for everything from setting the table, to preparing a fire for outdoor cooking, to cooking a crown roast.  Some recipes I've already spotted (but may not necessarily make) include peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, strudel, wiener schnitzel, raspberry sherbet, chicken divan, and French toast waffles.

Our second errand was to the grocery store where we picked up the condiments needed for our bison burgers. Once home, we fired up the grill and got ready for dinner outside until the thunder threatened and we moved our picnic inside.  Despite the change of venue, our burgers were delicious.


A Burger (almost more stuff than burger)

K Burger  (leaning tower of toppings)

Here's our inspiration for this meal.
 How'd we do?


While, we didn't have crinkle fries - I think we did a pretty good job.



No comments:

 
Site Meter