Monday, December 13, 2010

Weight

Anna had her second check up with the doctor today and we had her big weigh in.  At the hospital we had lots of different people doing their best to scare us that she was not getting enough to eat because she lost weight (almost 8% of her body weight) and she was slightly jaundice.   Since leaving the hospital, I've been nursing her every two to two and half hours and we've been putting her in the sun for short periods each day to help with the weight and jaundice.  At her first doctor's appointment she had gained a few ounces since leaving the hospital.  Then a few days later at the lactaction consultant appointment, she had gained a few more ounces, so again moving in the right direction.  When we were with the lactaction consultant, Anna was weighed, I fed her, and then she was weighed again.  This helped us figure out how much milk she was getting in a feeding.  Guess what? Anna was getting more than enough milk for her weight!  By ten days old breastfeed babies should be back up to their birth weight.  So even with all these positive signs, we were still really hoping that her weigh in today at ten days would go well and she would be back to her birth weight of 6lbs 10oz. 

And now for the results.....Little Miss Anna isn't so little anymore - she weighed in at 7lbs 4 oz today!  She gained just under a pound since her first doctor's appointment last week! Woo hoo!


Here's the view I have from the couch as I'm blogging... so sweet.

2 comments:

Delaine Slusser said...

Yay Anna!

Aunt Kathy said...

She sure is!!!! Glad she gained her weight back, I thought she looked "pleasantly plump" in the photos from the weekend. You can relax a litlle now that you know you are doing a great job!! Have a great day!!

 
Site Meter