Friday, May 20, 2011

Great Expectations

If you’re thinking I’m going to give you a report on this Dickens’ novel, you’re mistaken. But you're in good company, let me explain.

Great expectations are a part of my everyday life. But from my perspective when it comes to expectations, more is less. For example, if I expect my little one to take a long nap she sleeps precisely 15 minutes before she’s smiling and ready to go again. On the flip side, when in desperation, I lay her down because I don’t know what else she might want/need she falls asleep immediately and sleeps forever.
I noticed this right after our trip to TN. I didn’t expect nap times to go well when our schedule was disrupted by vacation and she was sleeping in a different noisier place. But I was so wrong, as previously mentioned, she took awesome naps while we were there. As soon as we got home, I expected her to take naps and I was sadly mistaken. See more is less. More importantly, less is more!

Even knowing that my expectations are usually contradicted by real life, I can’t help but have them. It seems impossible to me to wake up in the morning and not have an expectation for how the day will play out. If you don’t expect to have breakfast, take a nap, run an errand, have lunch, etc…how do you ever get any of that done? Maybe the key is to have a plan but not set expectations on how the day will actually play out...hmm.
See, your expectations about that book report turned out all wrong, no book report here.

Besides, everyone knows, A Tale of Two Cities, is the best Dickens’ novel.


Who would expect her to like this position, let alone fall asleep like this?

Not me, but she did!

No comments:

 
Site Meter