Friday, February 25, 2011

Doctor's Orders*

Anna went to the doctor and the doctor said....

She's allowed to play with Cows.



She's allowed to dress like a Cow.



She's allowed to be surrounded by Cows while dressed like a Cow.




She's even allowed to wear nothing but a Cow hat.


But she's not allowed to have Cow's milk.
And neither is her Mama.

Why?  Well, it appears Miss Anna's allergic or at least sensitive to the protein in Cow's milk.  Granted, she's not drinking it yet but I am so she is getting the protein via me.  So yesterday, after well over 2 weeks of congestion and no other symptoms, I took her to the doctor.  Yes, I took a perfectly healthy 12 week old to the doctor to sit in the waiting room with all those flu cases.  After checking her lungs, her ears, her mouth, etc... we realized her lungs were clear, no earaches, no signs of incoming teeth, so everything checked out fine except for the snot.  All the snot.  So that and a few other symptoms point to a food allergy.  Cow's milk is the most common in infants...good news though most outgrow it by 3 (fingers crossed).

I cut out the basic dairy items last week but I'm still having trouble staying away from all the hidden milk products.  Milk is everywhere... I've spent some extra time reading labels and I have it figured out. Mostly.  When I don't read a label and assume something is clean, I get into trouble.  Like the Tootsie Pop I had yesterday in the car.  Or the mini animal crackers my parents brought us. Or the croutons I added to my salad.  Or the ice cream I so badly want...just kidding I know ice cream isn't clean.

Since Anna is growing well (she weighed in at 11lbs 8oz yesterday), sleeping well (usually 4-5 hour chunks at night), and happy 99% of the time (all babies are fussy now and then), the doctor isn't too worried about it.  Cutting out dairy may decrease her congestion so I'm giving it a go.

Good bye ice cream...I love you, really love you...but I love my daughter more, way more.




*Not really orders, but suggestions. :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Precious pictures! Anna is so beautiful! I'm sorry you have to give up icecream :(

abby said...

mini moo is a cutie!

Unknown said...

Soo cute.. Love the cows! I do hope she grows out of all this some day. She has to be able to experience cookout!

Anonymous said...

Looking Mooootiful!

 
Site Meter